fbpx

Belluno and the Venetian Pre-Alps

Brent De L'Art

Brent De L'Art

Sant'Antonio Tortal
The Brent de l'Art are canyons excavated over the millennia by the torrent Ardo. This name derives from the dialect word "brentana" (torrent that becomes impetuous after heavy rains) and from the name of the same water course, Ardo, which in dialect becomes Art. About twelve thousand years ago the meteoric waters, also helped by the presence of carbonic acid, they created incisions on the cretaceous scale (deposits dating back to the Cretaceous period, which goes from 145 to 65 million years ago), where then the surface flowing waters, rich in abrasive fragments, insinuated themselves and with their erosive work began the formation of the deep and colorful slit that today

Bognon Waterfall

Bognon Waterfall

Location Pranolz
The Bognon waterfall looks like a deeply recessed gorge, and is the result of the erosive action that over the centuries the water has exerted on the rocky stratifications that characterize the land of these banks. Overall, the water falls for about ten meters with two beautiful waterfalls, each of which has at its base a limestone of clearest emerald green water.
Pont De Val D'Arc

Pont De Val D'Arc

Mel
Remarkable and unpredictable arch of rock that was long the subject of disputes between the municipalities of Miane (TV) and Mel. A table located on site tells the past vicissitudes between the two municipalities, while in 1838, after about 500 years, the disputes were resolved and the arch today marks the territorial boundary between the two municipalities.
Peat bog in Valpiana

Peat bog in Valpiana

Valmorel, Melere

Marshy biotope located in Località Nantei and recognized since the early 2000s as a SIC (Site of Community Interest) due to its great biodiversity. The protected area, in fact, hosts a large variety of amphibians, in particular various newts and the yellow-bellied toad, as well as particular spontaneous floral species visible from May to June, such as the orchids of the genus Dactylorhiza and the splendid Iris Sibirica. This is the largest peat bog system in the entire Province of Belluno.

Col dei Piatti, Col Moscher and the Blooming of the Daffodils

Col dei Piatti, Col Moscher and the Blooming of the Daffodils

Valbelluna
From the modest peak of Col Moscher, the panorama opens up on the entire Belluno Dolomites Park and on the underlying Valbelluna which, together with its numerous inhabited centers, accompanies the Piave river towards the nearby plain. To the south, however, we can admire the magnificent Col dei Piatti which, with a picture postcard, emerges against the backdrop of the farthest mountains of Garda and Cesen. The place is beautiful and relaxing at any time of the year, but its charm reaches its maximum in May, during the blooming of the daffodils. In this period, in fact, the hills of this strip of territory, more than elsewhere, they are covered in white, making the environment truly magical.
Osiery of Celarda

Osiery of Celarda

Feltre
Protected area located in the locality of the same name in the municipality of Feltre and falling within the Belluno Dolomites Park. Its name derives from the use made of it at the beginning by the Serenissima Republic, ie planting of willows and wicker extraction. Today the area is used as an oasis of environmental restocking and is home to 84 free species of animals, including roe deer, many carnivores (badger, marten, fox, etc.), various rodents and lagomorphs (dormice, squirrel, hare, etc.). ) and some bats. In the past, the presence of the otter has been reported. Several avian species, including various waders (gray heron, teal, etc.) and numerous diurnal and nocturnal birds of prey. Fish, amphibians and reptiles are also very varied. To highlight the presence of crayfish.
Val Rimonta

Val Rimonta

Park of the Dolomites
Perifluvial environment located between the municipalities of Mel and Lentiai, at the confluence of the river Piave with the stream Rimonta. It hosts a rich variety of animal and plant species.
Castle of Zumelle

Castle of Zumelle

Mel
It seems that a first nucleus of Zumelle had been completed as early as 46-47 AD, when the Romans were about to consolidate their influence in the area of ​​Valbelluna, conquered in the 1st century BC. The building stood in a strategic position, checking the transits of a road artery that came from the plain through the Praderadego pass, perhaps the Via Claudia Augusta Altinate or, more likely, its variant. At the time of the barbarian invasions, the castle became the hub of the local defensive system, which had the task of ensuring the connections between Feltre and Ceneda.

Waterfall of Soffia and Cadini of Val Brenton

Waterfall of Soffia and Cadini of Val Brenton

Lake of the Mis
The Val Brenton, just before flowing into the Mis stream just upstream from the bridge at Gèna Bassa, presents in its terminal section a series of rocky steps where the water jumps have dug over the millennia a series of beautiful deep pools even more 4 meters and locally known as "cadini". These are erosion pots, created by the abrasive action of the water that carries various debris in its swirling movement; the repeated rubbing and impacts determine, on the rock of the shelf at the foot of the small waterfalls, the formation of characteristic cavities with a "barrel" shape, ie having a larger diameter below the edge. The slight inclination upstream of the rocky layers and the presence of cracks favor the permanence of water on the shelves, helping to accelerate the chemical dissolution of the rock (Dolomia Principale), which forms the steps of the valley. The cadini, located between 435 and 490 m. of quote, are a fortnight; the first twelve potholes, connected to each other by rocky slides and waterfalls, are easily accessible thanks to a short ring route created by the Authority of the Park of Dolomiti Bellunesi; at the entrance of the path, you can also visit the botanical garden "Campanula morettiana", divided into sectors that recreate the main natural environments present in the Park

Points of Cultural Interest

Museum of Zoche and Marquetry

Museum of Zoche and Marquetry

San Gregorio in the Alps
In the square of San Gregorio in the Alps stands a curious monument, a huge "zòca" (stump) well-stocked with a thick foliage of roots; just below the square is the equally interesting museum of the "zòche" and the inlay, which exhibits a rich collection of wood and root artefacts carved and carved by local artists.
Civic Museum of Belluno

Civic Museum of Belluno

Belluno
It was opened to the public in 1876 and is the most important museum in the city. Until 2016, its collections were housed in the seventeenth-century Palazzo dei Giuristi, while from 2016 the museum was moved to Palazzo Fulcis. It houses paintings from the 14th to the 19th centuries, drawings and prints, bronze plaques, sculptures (especially from the 18th and 19th centuries); in addition, art objects such as porcelains, rugs, tapestries, glass and a jewelry collection. The archaeological collection, consisting of artefacts dating from the Middle Paleolithic to the Early Middle Ages, remains provisionally still at the Palazzo dei Giuristi, waiting to find its definitive location at the Bembo Palace (formerly the Civil Hospital), now undergoing restoration .
Palazzo Cepadona

Palazzo Crepadona

Belluno
A city cultural complex inaugurated in 1981 and housed in a 16th century noble residence built by Niccolò Crepadoni (hence the name of the palace). The palace was actually born from the union of pre-existing buildings, of which the altana probably preserves the layout of one of the ancient towers that overlooked the city walls. On the ground floor and on the first floor are still visible the remains of the original frescoes, while in the inauguration year of the center (1981) it was decided to place under the arcade the Roman sarcophagus of Flavius ​​Ostilius Sertorian and of the Domitian moglia dating back the III century and discovered in 1480 during the excavations of the foundations of the bell tower of S. Stefano. The Crepadona houses the civic library and the city's cultural center.
Museum of the 7th Alpine Regiment

Museum of the 7th Alpine Regiment

Sedico
The 7th Alpine Regiment Museum is housed in a wing of Villa De Manzoni in Sedico, in loc. Patt.The villa was designed by the architect Giuseppe Japelli and contains frescoes of considerable artistic value, among which mention the "Lotta delle Spartane" by Giovanni de Min and "Esopo tells the fables" by Pietro Paoletti. The inauguration of the museum took place in 1938, when Colonel Carlo Ghe of the 7th Alpine Regiment, for the recurrence of the 20th anniversary of the end of the 1st World War, decided to establish a Museum-Shrine in memory of the numerous fallen. The historic collections of the 7th Alpine Regiment Museum are owned by the Ministry of Defense, have expanded over time and include artifacts such as weapons, pennants, memorabilia and documents, including some collections of almost complete postcards. The collection of the museum ranges from the year of foundation of the Regiment (1887) up to the present day and shows evidence of the campaigns of Africa, of Albania, mainly of the Great War, but also of the 2nd World War and various international missions of peace.
Archaeological Museum

Archaeological Museum

Mel
Since 1996 it is located on the top floor of the seventeenth-century Palazzo delle Contesse and houses, in the central hall, an exhibition of panels, photographs and drawings related to the entire archaeological area, while in the two side rooms there are 25 bulletin boards containing the grave goods coming from from nearby Necropoli Paleoveneta, materials of the settlement identified in 1995 and finds from private collections. There are ossuaries, various personal ornaments and numerous everyday objects.
Historical Bicycle Museum

Historical Bicycle Museum

Cesiomaggiore

HISTORICAL MUSEUM OF BICYCLE "T. BEVILACQUA" - CESIOMAGGIORE

Born from a Sergio Sanvido’s idea and dedicated to the Venetian Toni Bevilacqua, world champion in pursuit in 1950 and 1951, the Bicycle Historical Museum was inaugurated in 1997 and collects the 'entire collection of bicycles that its founder had donated to the City. Since 2007, the Museum has housed in the Primary School of Cesiomaggiore and houses 170 pieces. Every bicycle has its own identity card; moreover, bicycles are grouped by historical period and by theme: from child, from work, military, from tourism and from competition. The oldest model is a celerifery of 1791, and the collection reaches up to modern electric bicycles.

Bridge of the Fountains of Fisterre

Bridge of the Fountains of Fisterre

Mussoi

Il Ponte di Fisterre, detto anche Ponte delle Fontane, è uno dei chiari segni dell’epoca romana nella città di Belluno. La struttura, infatti, fu eretta come acquedotto cittadino e tale rimase fino alla fine dell’800, quando fu inaugurato l’acquedotto odierno, ed è per questo che le opere di manutenzione si sono susseguite nell’arco dei secoli con sufficiente costanza per garantirne l’efficienza. A sottolinearne l’importanza è visibile ancora oggi all’ingresso del ponte una lapide, risalente al restauro operato nel 1750 dal pretore e prefetto Maffeo Badoer, che ricostruì il manufatto dopo un improvviso crollo avvenuto nel 1744 che lasciò la città senza acqua. Il Ponte è costruito ad arcata unica a volta a tutto sesto, in pietra, ed è situato in località Fisterre, a pochi chilometri dal centro cittadino, sulle coste di un torrente emissario dell’Ardo. Il ponte è oggi percorribile a piedi, e congiunge il Parco di Mussoi un’area verde oggi pubblica ma nata come giardino romantico di una dimora signorile, Villa Clizia, che raccoglie importanti piante secolari ed esemplari di flora e fauna, con l’area dei campi da tennis posta a nord, in direzione dell’abitato di Vezzano. Nei pressi del ponte, inoltre, sorge la Peschiera di Fisterre, affascinante area un tempo florida ma oggi purtroppo totalmente abbandonata.

Bridge of Victory

Bridge of Victory

Borgo Piave, Belluno
Made between 1923 and 1926 by 'ing. Eugenio Miozzi, was conceived as a work in a single span, as the floods of the Piave and the passage of lumber would, over time, have been able to damage any further pillars. In addition to the strength (the structure of the bridge is reinforced concrete) the work had to be showy and elegant and the single span model fully satisfied these prerogatives. On a decorative panels of the shoulders of the Victory Bridge were engraved some verses of the "Canzone del Piave" ", symbol of Italian resistance on the waters of Belluno during the First World War.
Women's Bridge

Women's Bridge

Campedei
Also known as "Pònt dele fèmene", it is a single span bridge built around the sixties of the fourteenth century by the Belluno nobleman Caterino de Foro, owner of funds in S. Antonio Tortal, following a dispute with the Parish Church of San Felice . The latter and the Municipality of Belluno exonerated him from the payment of tax burdens and in exchange the nobleman was constantly involved in the maintenance of the bridge. Above the original bridge, visible from the road, in 1915 the Austro-Hungarian army, due to problems of failure of the original work, built the current one, on which it passes.

Tour of the Venetian Villas

Villa Montalban Pialdier

Villa Montalban Pialdier

Pialdier

It dates back to the eighteenth century and was built as an autonomous body, while today it is incorporated into the historical center of the town. On the front of the building stands out, on the second floor, the central motif, consisting of four Ionic pilasters supporting the tympanum and framing the three openings with balconies flush with the façade. The oratory of the villa houses a valuable altarpiece by Giovanni da Mel.

Villa Piloni Casteldardo

Villa Piloni Casteldardo

Trichiana
It was built at the behest of Odorico Piloni at the end of the sixteenth century as a country residence. Underwent extensive renovation during the eighteenth century and is part of a series of properties of the Piloni family, including the land surrounding the villa and on which once stood the ancient castle of Casteldardo. The central body is formed by three floors surmounted by another tympanum with three windows that are repeated even below and are enhanced by the balcony with conical pillars and curved and broken pediments.
Villa Agosti

Villa Agosti

Trichiana
Once home to an important library, it bears on one of its external walls the verses of the "Belluno Rhythm", one of the first examples of Italian vernacular, narrating the destruction of the Casteldardo castle during the battle between Bellunesi and Trevigiani. The building was built in the nineteenth century and has long belonged to the noble Agosti family. Today the villa is owned by the municipality and has been used as a residence for the elderly.
Villa Alpago Novello

Villa Alpago Novello

Trichiana

The original nucleus of the villa dates back to the eighteenth century, while, in the following two centuries, the building has undergone numerous extensions. The villa, in fact, is presented as the unification of pre-existing minor buildings, spread over three floors and is characterized by a pavilion roof. On the main façade stands out the motif of the three windows close to the main floor and the tympanum, which is detached from a frame to the rest of the façade. The Austrian invasion dating back to the Great War unfortunately devastated the interior completely.

Villa Piloni Garfagnoi

Villa Piloni Garfagnoi

Trichiana
Built in 1600 and founded as a hunting lodge, it is located in the village of Roman origin Carfagnoi (Carfanius) and looks like a solemn and austere home, whose balcony on the first floor is embellished by a wrought iron railing.